In a major government U-turn, local council elections in Peterborough will now go ahead as planned in May 2026, after ministers reversed an earlier decision to postpone them.
The change means sitting councillors — including Independent Cllr Rylan Ray, currently remanded in custody on multiple serious charges — will face voters at the ballot box.
Government scraps election delay after legal challenge
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) confirmed today that it has withdrawn permission for 30 councils, including Peterborough City Council, to delay their elections.
The reversal follows legal advice and a High Court challenge from Reform UK, which argued postponing the vote risked undermining democratic accountability.
I’m a big fan of @docshab – her engagement with the electorate is exceptional – but the decision to cancel elections in Peterborough, only to have them uncanceled by the Labour Government, is going to lead to political carnage in Peterborough. pic.twitter.com/IEiyioeGLw
— Stephen Ferguson (@borofergie) February 16, 2026
A government spokesperson said: “Providing certainty to councils about their local elections is now the most crucial thing and all local elections will now go ahead in May 2026.”
Council must now prepare for 18 seats up for grabs
Peterborough City Council originally requested the postponement back in January, citing the need to focus on local government reorganisation plans.
That request was approved — but ministers have now pulled back, meaning the council must press ahead with elections for 18 seats, around one third of the chamber.
Most wards will see one councillor elected on May 7, 2026.
Ray remains eligible despite custody status
One of the most controversial figures potentially standing is Cllr Rylan Ray (25), who represents Eye, Thorney, and Newborough.
I think we need an air of calm. We put forward a view and the Govt has come back and said elections going ahead. I am still here working for the people of Peterborough. Yes of course there will be challenges but it’s par for the course!
I look forward to working with you all!
— Dr Shabina Qayyum (@docshab) February 16, 2026
Ray was elected as a Conservative in 2022 but was suspended from the party “with immediate effect” after his arrest and now sits as an independent (listed as “unspecified” on the council website).
He appeared at Ipswich Crown Court last month and was further remanded in custody. Ray faces multiple allegations, including:
- sexual assault
- sexual communication with a child
- indecent image offences
Under UK law, being held on remand does not automatically disqualify someone from standing for or holding office. Disqualification generally applies only after conviction and a custodial sentence of three months or more.
Democracy boost — but pressure on councils
Some local figures have welcomed the decision as a victory for democratic process, though it adds strain on councils already dealing with reorganisation plans that could see Peterborough abolished as an authority by 2028.
Reform momentum after by-election breakthrough
Attention is also turning to Reform UK, after the party won its first-ever seat on Peterborough City Council last week in a Fletton and Woodston by-election.
That vote followed the death of Labour councillor Nick Thulbourn.
In a tragic coincidence, a second Labour councillor in the same ward, Alan Dowson, also died recently. His successor will now be chosen at the May elections rather than via a separate by-election.
https://twitter.com/PeterboroughCC/status/2023428526364373206
The council explained that vacancies within six months of scheduled elections do not trigger standalone contests.
Councillors facing re-election in 2026
The following seats are due for contest in May:
- Scott Warren (Conservative) – Bretton
- Alison Jones (Labour) – Central
- Dennis Jones (Independent) – Dogsthorpe
- Samantha Hemraj (Labour) – East
- Rylan Ray (Independent) – Eye, Thorney, and Newborough
- Christian Hogg (Liberal Democrat) – Fletton and Stanground
- Alan Dowson (Labour) – Fletton and Woodston (vacant)
- Andrew Bond (Liberal Democrat) – Gunthorpe
- Marco Cereste (Conservative) – Hampton Vale
- Mohammed Farooq (Peterborough First) – Hargate and Hempsted
- Noreen Bi (Labour) – North
- Michael Perkins (Conservative) – Orton Longueville
- Julie Stevenson (Independent) – Orton Waterville
- Muhammad Sabir (Labour) – Park
- Asif Shaheed (Liberal Democrat) – Paston and Walton
- Mohammed Rangzeb (Green) – Ravensthorpe
- Ray Bisby (Peterborough First) – Stanground South
- Sarah Hillier (Peterborough First) – Werrington
The mix highlights Peterborough’s fragmented political landscape, split between national parties, local groups, and independents.
Current balance of power: no overall control
As of February 2026, the council remains under no overall control. Composition stands at:
- Labour: 13
- Independents: 11
- Conservatives: 10
- Peterborough First: 10
- Liberal Democrats: 8
- Greens: 5
- Reform UK: 1
- Not specified: 1
Labour leads a minority administration, relying on informal cooperation from other groups.
Could Reform shake up May’s result?
Reform’s by-election win suggests growing local traction. If the party fields candidates widely across the 18 wards, analysts believe it could reshape the council by drawing votes from both Labour and Conservatives.
A gain of even three to five seats could deepen fragmentation and make coalition-building after May even harder.
Candidate nominations are expected to open in the coming weeks.
Note: This article is based on publicly available court and government information. All charges against Cllr Ray are allegations, and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Under UK law, individuals on remand are not automatically disqualified from holding or standing for elected office














