Connect with us

News

Labour’s choice for Huntingdon Alex Bulat throws down the gauntlet to online critics

‘We have more in common than what divides us’ says Labour candidate

Avatar photo

Published

on

County councillor Alex Bulat hit back at online critics of her selection as Labour candidate for Huntingdon at the General Election. Since announcing two days she had been selected by Labour to fight the constituency, many of her 30,000 followers on @X have offered support – but Cllr Bulat has also been stung by criticism.

“I really appreciate all your support, including the many people who helped, mentored and were there for me while this selection process happened,” she tweeted.

“Unsurprisingly, a small minority are unhappy that someone who is not born in the UK can live, work and study in the UK, become British and want to represent my home constituency.

“Our politics, both locally and nationally, should reflect the diversity of the UK and I am proud to be Romanian-born and a British citizen and want to make the place I live in better for all, regardless of where we happen to be born.”

She added: “When we see more abuse and intimidation in politics being reported across the country, we should all support the principles of #DebateNotHate – we can disagree with people on their arguments, not their personal characteristics they cannot change.

“I’m working on planning my campaign for Huntingdon, so if you want to be involved, let me know!”

Cllr Bulat moved to the UK from Romania in 2012.

“I was 18 years old, and I remember struggling to understand my flatmates speaking in English,” she has previously said.

“Eight years later, I had a PhD in Political Sociology and became a British citizen.”

Cllr Alex Bulat, Labour county councillor and migrant champion, said: “Asylum seekers want to learn English, work, integrate and have a normal life in the UK like everyone else.” Cllr Bulat became Britain's first Romanian-born county councillor after the 2021 local elections.

Cllr Alex Bulat, Labour county councillor and migrant champion, said: “Asylum seekers want to learn English, work, integrate and have a normal life in the UK like everyone else.” Cllr Bulat became Britain’s first Romanian-born county councillor after the 2021 local elections.

This week she reminded @X followers that “I live in Huntingdon, but this town is more than my home – it is the place where I became British, so it will always be special to me.

“When I moved to the UK at 18, struggling with studying, working, and learning English, I could not have imagined that one day I would be a citizen, a councillor, or have a PhD degree, let alone stand for Parliament.

“I did not grow up discussing politics and I have never thought that people like me could be in politics.

“I have dedicated all my working life to public service, whether it’s working in non-profit organisations and charities, researching, and campaigning for better policies or becoming the first British-Romanian Labour county councillor, representing residents on Cambridgeshire County council – and hopefully the first British-Romanian MP!

“Our towns, villages, and hamlets in the Huntingdon constituency have been let down by successive Conservative governments.

“We need an active MP who is present and puts residents’ interests first.

“We have more in common than what divides us – from Kimbolton to Warboys, we all want an NHS back on its feet, houses we can afford to live in, streets we can feel safe on, and clean energy and healthy food made in the UK.

“Most of all, I would like to see our children having the opportunities I had as a young person in the UK, not a next generation that is worse off than their parents.

Cllr Alex Bulat: ‘If some people here really think the ‘you’re not British’ or (mildly or less mildly) xenophobic comments will make me less likely to be involved in politics… I have news for you’

“Huntingdon deserves a full-time MP and a new hope that things can get better – but in order to make Huntingdon a better place to live, we need to vote for that change.”

And she had this to add to online critics.

“If some people here really think the ‘you’re not British’ or (mildly or less mildly) xenophobic comments will make me less likely to be involved in politics… I have news for you.

“Stood for election before as a councillor, had the exact same stuff in my comments, and everything is fine after because the vast majority of people want someone who does the work and is present as a politician rather than caring about where someone was born.”

Facebook

Camp Beagle wishes to close down MBR Acres, a huge beagle breeding factory near Huntingdon, which supplies about 2,000 puppies a year to toxicology testing laboratories across the UK. Above is John Curtin who has been banned from the area. PHOTO: Camp Beagle Camp Beagle wishes to close down MBR Acres, a huge beagle breeding factory near Huntingdon, which supplies about 2,000 puppies a year to toxicology testing laboratories across the UK. Above is John Curtin who has been banned from the area. PHOTO: Camp Beagle
News2 hours ago

Camp Beagle campaign organiser arrested and banned from Huntingdon

GoFundMe appeal launched to fund John Curtin’s legal costs

McSpadden (right) was in breach of a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) when he went into Tesco with Momot (left) and stole crème eggs worth £59.40 McSpadden (right) was in breach of a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) when he went into Tesco with Momot (left) and stole crème eggs worth £59.40
Crime3 hours ago

Chocs away – crème egg shoplifter from Wisbech jailed for 9 weeks

'McSpadden and Momot are prolific shoplifters in Wisbech who blatantly disregard the orders of the court'

A Stagecoach spokesperson said re-opening the section will see ‘journey times between the Biomedical Campus and Cambridge Railway Station radically reduced to less than 5 minutes’. A Stagecoach spokesperson said re-opening the section will see ‘journey times between the Biomedical Campus and Cambridge Railway Station radically reduced to less than 5 minutes’.
News6 hours ago

Stagecoach ‘delighted’ at re opening of key section of Guided Busway

In 2022, the Busway was named by the Daily Telegraph as one of Britain’s 10 most beautiful bus routes

Florin Buti, 19, of Ridgwell Road, London, denied rape and fraud by false representation, but he was found guilty following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court Florin Buti, 19, of Ridgwell Road, London, denied rape and fraud by false representation, but he was found guilty following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court
News7 hours ago

Three men jailed for total of more than 28 years for raping woman in Cambridge

'Buti and the other defendants in this case clearly went looking for a woman to attack'

Running between Friday 19th April until Thursday 25th April, special screenings will celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Luxe cinema, Wisbech Running between Friday 19th April until Thursday 25th April, special screenings will celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Luxe cinema, Wisbech
News8 hours ago

The Luxe Wisbech: 15 Years of Movie Magic!

We have always seen ourselves as part of the heart of the town

MP Steve Barclay visits Whittlesey to promote election prospects for police and crime commissioner Darryl Preston and a local Conservative by election candidate. Videos made by Mr Barclay were ordered to be removed from a town council Facebook page MP Steve Barclay visits Whittlesey to promote election prospects for police and crime commissioner Darryl Preston and a local Conservative by election candidate. Videos made by Mr Barclay were ordered to be removed from a town council Facebook page
News1 day ago

SPECIAL REPORT: Fenland Council orders MP Steve Barclay’s videos to be removed from Whittlesey Town Council Facebook page

'I have also requested that any reference to Whittlesey Town Council is removed'

The School for Scandal is at Cambridge Arts Theatre until Saturday, April 13 then touring The School for Scandal is at Cambridge Arts Theatre until Saturday, April 13 then touring
News2 days ago

REVIEW: ‘Immaculate performances’ in The School for Scandal at Cambridge Arts Theatre

The School for Scandal is at Cambridge Arts Theatre until Saturday, April 13

A 33-year-old man from Huntingdon has now been arrested on suspicion of possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence. A 33-year-old man from Huntingdon has now been arrested on suspicion of possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
Crime2 days ago

Police arrest man who allegedly brandished imitation firearm in Huntingdon

'At about 7pm a man produced the firearm and pointed it at someone'

Whitemoor Prison, March, Cambridgeshire, where forensics experts are looking for DNA and other evidence after a prison officer was seriously assaulted. PHOTO: Bav Media Whitemoor Prison, March, Cambridgeshire, where forensics experts are looking for DNA and other evidence after a prison officer was seriously assaulted. PHOTO: Bav Media
News3 days ago

GoFundMe appeal to help family of prisoner officer seriously injured by Whitemoor inmate

As a result of being assaulted, he has spent almost 3.5 weeks in intensive care

The Combined Authority, which is responsible for transport across the region, has awarded a contract to A2B, a local and experienced bus operator The Combined Authority, which is responsible for transport across the region, has awarded a contract to A2B, a local and experienced bus operator
News3 days ago

Mayor Dr Nik Johnson saves Littleport to Cambridge bus route

Combined Authority acts quickly to plug the gaps left by Stagecoach